Baptist Health Louisville's Maternity Program
You want the birth of your baby to be a beautiful and memorable experience. And where you decide to have your baby is an important factor in fulfilling this experience.
That's why Baptist Health Louisville's Maternity Program provides up-to-date maternity care in a warm, family-oriented environment and an experienced, professional staff who will be sensitive to your emotional and physical well-being. Baptist Health Louisville offers special facilities, family education programs, compassionate nursing care, and a variety of special options so you can custom-design your maternity experience.
Our maternity facilities include:
- Antepartum room for special procedures ordered by your doctor during pregnancy, such as blood pressure checks, non-stress tests and injections.
- Labor/Delivery/Recovery (LDR) rooms where you may labor, give birth and recover (for about an hour) until you and your baby are ready to be moved to the Mother/Baby Unit. Each LDR is furnished with a special birthing bed and features other home-like touches, including wood parquet floors, a rocking chair for savoring those precious first family moments, a recliner for Dad, an armoire, a telephone, a television, a large window and a private bath with shower.
- Mother/Baby Unit. Each private room is comfortably furnished with a telephone, flat-screen television, sleep sofa or chair, rocker glider, mini-refrigerator, two nightstands for storage and private bath.
- Well Baby Nursery
- Level II NICU for babies born prematurely or those who need a little help adjusting to their new environment during the first few days of life.
- Neonatologists -- physicians who specialize in caring for critically ill newborns -- are available 24 hours a day to deal with any problems or special needs your baby may have.
- Reproductive Imaging Center headed by a maternal-fetal expert featuring 4-D ultrasound technology from GE Medical Systems.
- Security system for the Mother/Baby Unit, Well Baby Nursery and Level II NICU to safeguard your newborn.
Having a baby at Baptist Health Louisville
- Pre-register by picking up a form at your physician's office, at the hospital's Maternity Program classes or preregister now online (at least 24 hours prior to your stay). Baptist Health Louisville recommends preregistering at the beginning of your seventh month of pregnancy. When labor starts, call your obstetrician. If your doctor advises you to come to the hospital, the labor and delivery unit is located at 3900 Kresge Way. The building with a large "B." Parking is free of charge. Once you enter the building, take the elevator to the second floor and follow the signs to the secure entrance.
- Liberal visitation in Labor and Delivery.
- Anesthesia available 24 hours a day.
- The option of having a doula to provide emotional support while giving birth. Doulas are not medical professionals, but are trained to offer reassurance, and help with breathing, relaxation, movement, positions and hands-on comfort techniques. Those interested in finding a doula may contact Doulas of North America through their Web site, www.dona.org.
- Your baby can stay with you in your room for extended periods of time. Or, if you prefer, your newborn will be lovingly cared for in our nursery.
- Feeding schedule. If you opt to have your baby cared for in the nursery, the baby will be brought to you for scheduled or "demand" feedings, depending on your preference.
- Liberal visitation on the Mother/Baby unit.
Gifts you will receive include:
- A Bible for baby
- A gift certificate for a fine celebration meal for the new mom
- A special offer from the Baptist East/Milestone Wellness Center
- A special discount on breastfeeding supplies in the hospital Gift Shop.
Maternity classes and programs Baptist Health Louisville knows that everyone has different needs when it comes to maternity education. Classes on all aspects of the pregnancy, labor and delivery, and postpartum experience are available, including newborn care and feeding and infant CPR. There are classes for grandparents, expectant fathers and siblings as well. Plus, hospital tours are offered.
- BabyNet online nursery
- Pre- and post-natal exercise programs at the Baptist East/Milestone Wellness Center. Physician approval is required to participate in any of the pre- and post-natal exercise classes.
For more information about the Maternity Program at Baptist Health Louisville, call the Information Center at (502) 897-8131.