What You Should Bring To The Hospital
The arrival of your new son or daughter is a time of excitement and joy. It's often a hectic time as well, so it can be difficult to remember to pack everything that you need to bring to the hospital.
About a month before the baby's due date, you should make sure you have the following items. Pack as many beforehand as you can. Use the following checklist as a guide to getting organized for the big event.
Items For Mom
- Nightgown or two piece pajamas and bathrobe or Baptist Health will provide a gown and do the laundry. You may wear your own gown if it allows for kangaroo care and access to your arm for IV's.
- Bra and nursing bra
- Breast pads
- Socks (several pair)
- Underwear (several pair)
- Hair ties, "scrunchies"
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, lip balm, lotion, deodorant
- Comfortable and loose fitting clothing to wear home
Items For Baby
- Cute outfit for the pictures
- Going home outfit for baby
- Receiving blanket
- Warm clothing to wear home/heavy bunting or blanket (if cold weather)
- Baby socks
- Baby hat (especially for cold weather climates)
- Baby car seat. (Call the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT for more information on the safety rating of a particular model.) A car seat is required by law and should be properly installed in your car before you go to the hospital.
Items For Labor Coach
- Stopwatch, or watch with a second hand for timing contractions
- Phone list of contacts to announce birth to friends and family; cell phone, phone card, calling card, or change for calls
- Snacks and drinks for the coach
- Massage rollers to relieve back pain due to labor
- The object you've chosen to use to focus your attention during labor (the "focal point")
Items For Hospital Staff
- Health plan insurance card
- Picture ID
- Pregnancy medical file; over-the-counter and prescription medication information
- Birth preferences
- Your pediatrician’s name and contact information, so the hospital can let the office know your baby has arrived
Other Important Items
- Camera, still or video or both, film, batteries, videotapes
- Books, magazines
- Music (portable music player; favorite tapes, or CDs)
- Inspirational items such as rocks, crystals, candles, lockets, photographs, etc.